Saturday, January 15, 2011

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - January 2011

All blooms shown on this frigid January Bloom Day are inside, and we are thankful for each and every one of them.


The brave little Hellebore is buried under at least a foot of snow, but on January 1st, when I last saw it briefly uncovered, there were still blooms - albiet most of them tattered - but there were also buds showing promise of blooms to come. It'll be interesting to see how it fares after so many weeks under a cold, snowy blanket.


This lovely African Violet/Saintpaulia is the current star of this bleak mid-winter Bloom Day.
My past track record regarding bringing African Violets into bloom has been dismal, which is why I'm thrilled to pieces with this gorgeous plant.


I love everything about it, including those healthy heart shaped leaves.
My dear gardening friend, Jean (who will turn 90 next week), brought the plant to me when she and her daughter-in-law visited last October. It was a seedling separated from one of her plants and was blooming a little when she brought it. This is a second batch of blooms, but so many more this time.


I haven't been so lucky with the Christmas Cactus/Schlumbergera/Zygocactus. There's only one bloom on the white flowered plant and none at all on the pink. I fed them during the summer but I'm wondering if they need more humidity in order to set buds.
 (so I just did a little research)
Yes, they need humidity! Place a tray of water beside the plant or you can make a humidity tray by placing the pot on a saucer that is filled with gravel and halfway filled with water.
They are also supposed to be kept in a dark place (a closet or unused bathroom are ideal) for about 12 hours each night for 6-8 weeks or until you see buds forming.
I forgot to do this. 
I wonder if it would still work.


The dear little "Rose" Begonia is still going strong. These blooms last a very long time. Posted by Picasa

If you click to enlarge this photo you'll see just how much they look like tiny, full-blown roses. 


This Begonia is a "Babywing"


I'm overwintering this pretty Wax Begonia (plus some white ones upstairs).


I particularly love those burgundy leaves. Posted by Picasa

The Hoya has 2 bloom clusters at the moment.


Just a couple of blooms on the Streptocarpus/Cape Primrose.


One of my favorite Christmas gifts was this lovely Holly plant.


The fake berries were added by the florist to dress it up for the holidays. Posted by Picasa


I planted three Paperwhite bulbs in mid-November and they bloomed during Christmas and for a few weeks afterward.


The lovely blooms are spent now but they were such a cheerful sight for several weeks and their scent was delightful. 
I have a number of Amaryllis growing in pots but none are even close to blooming at the moment.
A few Ivy geraniums upstairs have blooms and there's a pretty pale pink zonal geranium blooming in the cellar "garden". 


This has been a very cold and snowy winter so far and there certainly doesn't seem to be a break in sight, so we're hunkering down for the duration.
Dreams of daffodils, tulips, green grass and summer gardens will have to sustain us until our corner of the world spins toward the sun again. Posted by Picasa


 

Meanwhile, be sure to visit Carol of May Dreams Gardens to feast your eyes on what's blooming in warmer parts of the globe and in other indoor gardens.

Happy Bloom Day everyone!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply]

looking pretty over there kerri, both inside and out! wherever did you find a white christmas cactus? i'll have to take a cutting of yours if, i mean, WHEN i get back to your and kylie's neck of the woods. stay warm up there! xox

p3chandan said...[Reply]

Cold wintery garden outside, at least you still have beautiful blooms inside, love your paperwhites and cute rose begonia!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...[Reply]

Hi Kerri, deep winter and snow outside and "all stars" inside. Your indoors flowering planst look like new from the nursery. They really must like the conditions you are providing for them. Each one is delightful.

Lisa at Greenbow said...[Reply]

I am always amazed at your collection of indoor bloomers Kerri. They are all so cheery. That begonia that looks like a rose is a real beauty. How are all of your kitties faring in all that snow? Happy GBBD.

Carolyn ♥ said...[Reply]

Beautiful indoor blooms!

Bob and Sandy said...[Reply]

I love all the color you have in your house blooms!

My cactus is blooming again, for a second time only with fewer blossoms.

sweetbay said...[Reply]

You have a marvelous collection of indoor beauties. I love the colors of your African violet and Hoya blooms.

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Your indoor garden looks wonderful, especially since we just came out of the darkest time of the year.

I don't know about you, but I am getting itchy to plant something. What can you start in February??

Tabor said...[Reply]

Not much of an indoor garden for me this year as we will be gone for weeks and my poor amaryllis will have to wait until I return...or perhaps they won't! Your flowers are so soft and delicate and such a nice respite from the gray cold. My word verification is quest...how appropriate.

Kylee Baumle said...[Reply]

Kerri, I just knew you'd have some beautiful indoor blooms, and I was right! You always do. Everything looks so wonderfully healthy! I've got that same hoya, but it's been awhile since it's bloomed. I might need to move it back to the south window rather than the east.

This has been an unusually cold winter so far, but at least we've had some snow cover to keep the plants warm! I'll be happy to see spring!

Needled Mom said...[Reply]

That is one very cold looking setting so it is such a pleasure to see the pretty colors of the blooms.

I have always been a miserable failure with the African violets too. I think I "nurture" them too much.

Humidity and Christmas cactus? Interesting. We grow ours outside and they certainly do not have humidity in out climate. It will be intersting to see if that makes a difference.

Stay warm!!!!

Cat said...[Reply]

Your collection of indoor blooms is impressive...so glad I stopped by to enjoy them on such a rainy, cold weekend.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...[Reply]

Hello Dear Kerri....

In the bleak mid winter would seem an appropriate song for you right now.... Our snow has now turned to rain, days of it.... the countryside is flooded, but certainly not on the scale as in your homeland.... we watch in horror at those scenes!

Your indoor blooms are very cheering and a delight to see. I was amazed when I saw how many berries were on the first picture of the little holly tree, but then smiled when I realised the florist had dressed it especially.... when I enlarged it I could see. It looks to be a soft leaf variety? A couple of years ago I bought two variegated standard holly bushes in pots, I had them each side the door for a while, but with growth they became quite a hazard with their prickly leaves.... this winter they had berries for the first time, then I noticed they were fast disappearing and saw the birds were eating them.... that suprised me, for I thought they were poisonous.

I love the colour of your African violets and their frilly leaves. All I have right now is a very poor flower on one of my Streptocarpus, ordinarily I would pinch it off because it is such a poor thing, but I have left it for the effort it has made.

Have a good week Kerri and keep warm. Marion

Annie in Austin said...[Reply]

What a gorgeous post for January, Kerri! And a very good lesson about indoor blooms.
I can usually find some kind of tiny little flower blooming outside, even in January, but we were in a badly needed patch of rain after some freezes so nothing worth a photo or post.
Even my indoor amaryllis wouldn't cooperate.

You have so much variety! Hope there are many sunny days for you this winter!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

John said...[Reply]

I am so glad you posted that information about the Christmas Cactus. I was given one by a friend in Utah and she said it blooms the most amazing white flowers. I have never been able to get it to bloom, but my house is very dry in the winter. Thanks for the tip!

The Wizard said...[Reply]

Wonderful pictures... A very good feeling to see your website

Mountain Mama said...[Reply]

Love your winter blossoms Kerri. I don't have any at all right now but I noticed yesterday that a Christmas Cactus has a few buds.
The snow is gone and we have been getting rain although the sun came out for a small time yesterday. Just enough to tease us. LOL! I took my Yorkies out for a while and noticed that some of my bulbs are coming up. Seeing that always cheers me. The promise of Spring is a true blessing!
Keep warm hon, and think SPRING!!!!
Hugs

Babara said...[Reply]

I remember a post you had last winter where you showed all your beautiful blooming plants. I already then was full of admiration. Today, seeing some of your beauties again I must say, you also are a perfect indoor gardener and have not only one green thumb but two green hands (this saying here means that a green thumb is a person who is very successful with plants) . I am sure all the flowers indoors will somehow shorten the winter for you. But in a about two months we all are outside again and gardening :-) !!
Have a good time, dear Kerri!
Barbara

janet copenhaver said...[Reply]

What a lovely blog and beautiful photos.
Came by way of Susan @ Patchwork Reflections.

Kathleen said...[Reply]

You always have an impressive array of indoor blooms Kerri. They sure help us get thru the winter, don't they?
I've also been noticing how relentless the winter weather has been in the NE. I hope you catch a break soon. I'm sure you'd like to see your Hellebore! Stay warm.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...[Reply]

i love the first shot with the glimpse of sunlight! we all know we can do a little more of sunny days! I would not have known without your desription that it is not a rose but a begonia plant. Beautiful pink blooms and I know pink is your fav. color :)